Chargify allows you to create both one-time and recurring coupons to give customers a discount.
- Coupons are only applied when a recurring charge is assessed.
- Coupons apply to the total of all charges, instead of just the base fee. This means that any setup fees and component charges will also be discounted by a valid coupon.
- If a free trial exists, the coupon will not be applied until an amount is due at the end of the free trial.
Creating a Coupon
Coupons are added to a Product Family from the Setup tab.
To create a new Coupon, click the “Create New Coupon” button.
Once a coupon has been created, it can be shared across all products in the family.
Basic Coupon Fields
- Internal Name: An internal name for the coupon. The name is not displayed to customers.
- Coupon Code: The code that customers will enter to redeem the coupon. The code must be uppercase letters, numbers and underscores with no spaces. NOTE: You can add additional codes to the coupon once the coupon has been created.
- Description: A description of the coupon that can be displayed to customers in transactions and on statements.
You may either specify an integer (whole number) percentage discount, or a flat amount in US dollars and cents.
Note that if you enter a decimal amount for the percentage, it will be silently truncated (not rounded). For example, if you enter 5.5, it becomes 5%.
The Limit Discount option allows you to configure whether a coupon can exceed the amount due. Selecting the ‘Do not limit discount’ option will leave a negative balance on the subscription if the coupon amount is greater than the amount due.
For example, if I apply a $100 coupon to a $30 product, with the ‘Do not limit discount’ option selected, I will have a -$70 balance on my subscription. Otherwise, my balance would be $0.
By default, a coupon is applied only to the initial payment at signup, or to the next recurring payment for an existing subscription. However, you can configure it to apply indefinitely, or for a certain number of renewal periods.
If you set an Expiration Date, the coupon will no longer be redeemable after the end of the day (Eastern Standard Time).
Use the Conversion Limit field to limit the number of times a coupon code can be used. Note that if you add additional codes to the coupon, this number will apply to each code separately.
Once you have created a Coupon, it will appear under the Product Family on the Products tab. You can make changes to the coupon by clicking the ‘Edit’ button to the right of the coupon.
Adding Additional Codes
Once a coupon has been created you can add additional codes to the coupon. These codes behave exactly like the main coupon code. To add more, click the ‘Manage Codes’ button for the coupon of your choice.
Next, enter the additional codes into the text box, with one coupon per line.
Creating a Subscription with a Coupon in the Admin Interface
To apply a coupon to a subscription, use the Coupon Code field on the new Subscription page.
Creating a Subscription with a Coupon in the Public Signup Page
Customers can also apply coupons through the Public Signup Page. However, you will first need to enable the coupon code field to be shown on your Public Signup Pages. This is done in the “Public Signup Pages” section of the “Setup” tab.
Creating a Subscription with a Coupon through the API
For API info see: https://docs.chargify.com/api-coupons