A canceled Subscription is no longer billed by Chargify. There are two ways a Subscription can be canceled:
- Explicitly requesting cancellation via the UI or API
- After a period of time (defined by your Dunning plan) passes with no payment for an overdue balance
Via the Admin UI
You can request cancellation of a Subscription yourself by clicking “Initiate Cancelation” from the operations menu.
After clicking “Initiate Cancelation”, you will have the opportunity to enter a message about the cancellation and review the action before either pressing the “Cancel Immediately” button, or the “Cancel at End of Period” button.
When you cancel a Subscription:
- You have the option of canceling immediately or at the end of the period, selecting either options means the customer’s credit card will no longer be charged.
- When canceling at the end of the period, the subscription will cease to renew automatically at the “Period Ends At” date and the subscription state will change.
- No refunds or prorations are made
- No email is sent to your Customer
You can later Reactivate a canceled Subscription.
Via the API
Automatic Cancellation due to Dunning
After a failed payment, Subscriptions transition to the Past Due state within Chargify. At this point, Chargify begins attempting to re-run the payment on a smart schedule. Eventually, we cease retrying to re-run the payment, and some of the Dunning strategies will automatically move the Subscription to Canceled state. See the Dunning documentation for how to control this automatic cancelation.